This is not a foodie blog, although I may talk about food from time to time.
It is not a rant blog, although I may do that, too.
It is simply a sharing of my thoughts because we all need an audience who responds to us,
to validate that we mean something, that we are alive.
Enjoy.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

John Daly

John Daly is the first television news reporter I remember. Other than his mellifluous voice, there was nothing spectacular about his presentation of the world’s events. This was long before flashy electronic screens, teleprompters, op-eds, and the need for television companies to convince viewers that their reporting was “fair and unbiased.”

Mr. Daly sat behind a plain desk holding a sheaf of papers which he glanced at from time to time. I still see him in black and white framed in the box of our RCA television. He emanated believability. I trusted him to tell me the truth about what was going on in a world I had just become aware of. He never expressed outrage. I don’t even remember surprise crossing his face.

My memory of John Daly set a standard for all the future news broadcasts I would see. Like a first love or a first kiss, nothing has matched it since.

In fact, watching a news broadcast today is akin to being emotionally assaulted. That’s why I’m swearing off “in-depth” news.

No comments:

Post a Comment