This is not a foodie blog, although I may talk about food from time to time.
It is not a rant blog, although I may do that, too.
It is simply a sharing of my thoughts because we all need an audience who responds to us,
to validate that we mean something, that we are alive.
Enjoy.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Funereal Observations

I am becoming a funeral connoisseur. It began with my father’s funeral in 1981. He was a 32nd degree Mason. My mother did not approve, but she relented and allowed the Masonic ritual to be performed at Daddy’s interment.

Having been raised in my mother’s very austere church, I found the ritual wondrous. Masonic brothers stood around my father’s casket and recited a comforting liturgy while folding a carpenter’s apron. Daddy would have been pleased.

I don’t remember attending a lot of funerals for the next twenty years, but suddenly I was spending a lot of time in funeral homes and churches. Most of the funerals were disappointing. They seemed irrelevant to the lives we were supposed to be celebrating. Occasionally, a funeral service would be a little less generic, like the service for a former black student of mine. It was very interactive. There were lots of “amens” and hats. I wish I had worn a hat. I felt out of place, not because I was white but because I was so inhibited and hatless, which was probably because I was white.

I attended the funeral of another student who would have been appalled at the somberness of the service. Granted it was heartbreaking that he was just in his thirties when he died, but he was one of the most talented, creative young men I had ever met. His funeral didn’t reflect that, and it made me sad that most of the people in attendance had no idea who he really was.

When my mother died at the age of ninety, I wanted to speak at her funeral and expressed my wishes to the preacher. He said that was his job. He was an awful speaker and didn’t do my mother justice. He didn’t know my mother when she was much younger and full of life. He didn’t know that I wanted to strangle him and put him out of my misery.

About a year-and-a-half later, I hosted my baby sister’s funeral in my home. My older sister read a poem that our sister had written about all of us cooking together. A little more tearfully than expected, I read the eulogy I had written. Then, according to her wishes, we traipsed out to the pasture behind my house and scattered her ashes. She would have loved it. She was the center of attention, and the people she loved most were there.

I have attended funerals at which the deceased was celebrated with anecdotes, both loving and humorous; funerals at which the preacher saw an opportunity to save souls (those are the worst!); and funerals so generic that I passed the time by planning my own funeral.

I don’t want a standard funeral. I want a party. It would be held in a community building of some sort. Everyone would bring his or her favorite dish and sit around eating and reminiscing. The formalities would include people getting up and telling their favorite memory about me, preferably something funny.

Then one of my children or grandchildren would read my poem:

Cradle

I crawl into the lap of the Universe

And rest my head in the curve of her arm.

She sighs to have me back

And hums a melody filled with stars.

I breathe in her fragrance of whirling atoms

And exploding suns.

I close my eyes in sleep

Forever.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite of your posts. I have often felt this way at funeral, though I have not attended many of people close to me. Mostly I think of my mamaws funeral and how stuffy and generic it was. It felt like a show, and not good one either. Nothing like her. She was one of the most amazing people I have ever known. Full of life. She laughed almost without break. She was one of those bat crazy grannys that drove ninety to nothing down the back roads. She would ground out her buick almost daily. I hated it, not just because I was morning the loss of the closest person to me, the one who knew me best but because she wouldn't have liked it at all. She would have been repulsed by it. The only thing that I knew she would have approved of was the fact that I sang her favorite song. I didn't want to but she had asked me to when she was practically on her death bed, so I did. I blubbered through it. I will never forget how I felt, sad yes but I felt like I honored her. The song was, "Son Go Bring My Children Home". There is nothing worse than funeral that does not celebrate the person who has passed. It is because most people do not really "know" their loved ones at all. They just think they do. I know the feeling. My mamaw really knew me. My few good memories from when I was young all include her or my cousin Justin. They are both gone now but when I think about them I smile, then comes the tears. My senior year in high school was one of my mamaws worst healthwise. She was in the hospital the night of my senior prom. I was dating a really nice boy at the time, and he along with my best friend, her date, and I went to visit my mamaw at the hospital after we made our appearance at the prom. They were all so kind to do that for me. I will never forget her face when I walked through the door all dolled up. I miss her everyday, it breaks my heart that she never got to meet my children and that they will never have wonderful memories of her as I do. Anyway I rambled. The point is this entry touched me, I shed a few memory tears.
    Hope
    PS-this is posting as my blog ID, which I havent posted in yet, but I think you have inspired me to start!

    ReplyDelete