This is not a foodie blog, although I may talk about food from time to time.
It is not a rant blog, although I may do that, too.
It is simply a sharing of my thoughts because we all need an audience who responds to us,
to validate that we mean something, that we are alive.
Enjoy.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cain vs Abel

I grew up loving trees. That’s why I’m not a vegetarian. While some people think I have Druidic tendencies, I’m not willing to sacrifice myself for a plant.

I understand people becoming vegetarian, even vegan, for health reasons. I’ve even tried it, but I felt like I was starving. Over the years, I’ve found what works best for me. I eat meat when I’m hungry for meat, and I eat vegetables the rest of the time.

What I don’t eat is sugar or wheat. Unless I’ve had a bad day. Then, I will eat Oreos, a sugar and wheat combination that has my number. Dipped in low fat milk until the chocolate cookie is soft and the creamy center is still firm, this classic cookie is a mini vacation from the slings and arrows of reality.

Until the guilt sets in. Why can’t I remember what it feels like after the Oreo indulgence before I’ve indulged? I’ve tried to conjure that “Oh, why did I eat that?” feeling before succumbing to the siren call of cookies and milk, but thinking a feeling and feeling a feeling just aren’t the same thing. So, occasionally, I give in and have three or ten black and white cookies, a brief, delicious experience sandwiched by past stress and future guilt.

One way I avoid guilt is by not being a vegetarian. People who choose not to eat “anything that had a mother” for humanitarian (carnivitarian?) reasons puzzle me. How is eating a ham different from eating a radish? Both had mothers. It would make more sense for them to say, “I won’t eat anything that came through a birth canal,” but that doesn’t sound altruistic, just creepy.

Through no fault of my mother’s, I grew up believing plants, especially trees, had feelings just like I did. I still do. So, therein lies the conundrum:   If I stop eating meat because it’s wrong to eat fellow inhabitants of Earth, I would also have to stop eating plants. See my problem?

1 comment:

  1. This make me laugh: "It would make more sense for them to say, 'I won’t eat anything that came through a birth canal,' but that doesn’t sound altruistic, just creepy." :)

    ReplyDelete